The purpose of National Honor Society is to create enthusiasm for scholarship, to stimulate a desire to render service, to promote leadership, and to develop character in students. Eligible students are those of Sophomore, Junior, and Senior standing with a cumulative GPA of 3.000 or higher, and who have attended CHS for at least one semester. Eligible students are notified early in the second semester and invited to complete a Candidate Information Form and an essay to support their candidacy.
Students accepted as members of NHS demonstrate the following traits:
- Demonstrates leadership in promoting school activities
- Exercises influence on peers in upholding school ideals
- Inspires positive behavior in others
- Successfully holds school offices or positions of responsibility without prodding
- Is thoroughly dependable in any responsibility accepted
- Is willing to uphold scholarship and maintain a loyal school attitude.
- Participates in some outside activity: Scouts, church groups, volunteer services for the aged, poor or disadvantaged.
- Volunteers dependable assistance and is willing to sacrifice to offer assistance.
- Shows courtesy by assisting visitors, teachers and students.
- Takes criticism willingly and accepts recommendations graciously.
- Upholds principles of morality and ethics.
- Manifests truthfulness in acknowledging obedience to rules, avoiding cheating in written work.
- Shows courtesy, concern and respect for others.
Throughout the year, NHS students participate in a number of activities in the schools and community-at-large, including:
- Curriculum Nights at Whitson
- NHS/FBLA Canned Food Drive
- Local Food Bank
- Spring Creek National Fish Hatchery Open House
- K-8 PTO Auction Fundraiser
- Whitson Family Movie Night - Hosted by NHS
Contact Adviser Kevin Olin for more information.